Thursday 15 January 2015

My first Linden!!!


I was recently a very lucky girl at christmas and received a lot of amazing sewing patterns! But the first one I wanted to try out was my Grainline Studio-Linden pattern. I love sweatshirts and jumpers, let me tell you! So I jumped at the chance of a homemade, raglan sleeved cozy sweatshirt. I have made sweatshirts and hoodies a plenty before but I really wanted to see what all the hype was about! 
When I am sewing jersey or knit garments I like to make one straight out of the packet to see what it sizes up like...... Here lies my error.......

Baggy jumpers are my thing, but well I hadn't quite anticipated this amount of, well.... Slouch! Ha ha 

So here below is my first ever Linden sweatshirt in all it's bad fabric choice, slouchy, loveliness. 
I really like the sweatshirt pattern, I honestly think it is great and I can't wait to make another in some more suitable fabric. This was my toile, hence the rather questionable choice of fabric.
I did encounter a few problems, mainly because my fabric was a lightweight fairly unstable knit. 
I cut the neckband piece according to the pattern but due to the nature of my fabric when I attached the neckband it stretched virtually to nothing, leaving me with an unsightly looking thin neck band. Urgh!!!!

So I ripped out all of my overlooking for the neck (favourite job) and recut the neck double the depth. Second time around and the neckline was much better. 


If you would like to check out the pattern for yourself head to http://shop.grainlinestudio.com/collections/tops/products/linden-sweatshirt

I will definitely be making another, I have some rather nice grey and navy stripe fleece backed jersey that I think will be an entirely different story.
I wouldn't call this a complete disaster, but I have learnt my measuring lesson... I am pretty sure I have learnt that lesson before! 

And here is me in it pre yoga class because it is just perfect for that!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram