Sunday 18 January 2015

Bobble hats a plenty!

I started knitting when I was probably about sixteen, my aunty taught me the basic stitches and I was away. I knit lots of random squares with good intentions of knitting them together to form a blanket, but, well, that never happened.

I quickly moved on to bobble hats, I am not a quick knitter, so I needed something that gave me more or less, the instant satisfaction of a finished product. 

I started knitting hats, and haven't been able to stop.

My problem with knitting hats is that I never follow a pattern, I swatch up the wool for my cast on measurements and just go with it. I now have quite an array of hats, none alike. 

I decided to dig out all of my hand knitted bobble hats and see what I had. It turns out I have knitted fifteen in total over the last 10 years, fifteen! Who needs fifteen bobble hats!! Turns out I do, well actually I need sixteen, because I have just finished knitting up another. (Just in time for the snow we have here!)

Before I show you my latest knit, I want to share with you nine of my hat collection.
As you can see, they are all rather different, but most have a bobble, I love an oversized bobble, and I just feel it makes the hat sit better on my head too. 

Here is my latest addition to the collection. A blue and grey hat knit in a merino mix that is amazing to work with and the perfect weight for a hat. I had just enough of this left over after knitting a baby dress last year. 
I crept outside this morning to take some pictures of my hat in the snow, the light was just wonderful. 
Once again this is just a completely random pattern, I am sure expert knitters can spot many flaws but I am happy with it. That is not to say I am not still in search of the perfect hat pattern.... Any recomendations welcome?

Thanks for stopping by. 

~HJF~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram